Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q- My spouse has never worked and will turn 65 before I do. Can my spouse get Medicare at age 65?




If you’re at least 62 and have worked at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment, your spouse can get Part A and Part B at 65. If you’ve worked at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment but aren’t yet 62 when your spouse turns 65, he or she won’t be eligible for free Part A until your 62nd birthday. In this case, your spouse should still apply for Part B at 65 to avoid paying a higher Part B premium. However, if you’re still working and your spouse is covered under your group health plan, he or she could delay Part B enrollment without paying higher premiums. 

Q- Am I be eligible for Medicare if I retire at 62?



No. You can’t get Medicare until you’re 65. If you retire, you may be able to keep your group health plan coverage from your employer or union. 

Q- What are the things Medicare Part A & Part B doesn't cover?



Medicare doesn't cover everything. If you need certain services Medicare doesn't cover, you'll have to pay for them yourself unless:

  • You have other insurance that covers them
  • You have a Medicare health plan that covers them

Even if Medicare covers a service or item, you generally have to pay your deductible, coinsurance, and copayments.

Some of the items and services that Medicare doesn't cover include:

  • Long-term care (also called custodial care)
  • Most dental care
  • Eye exams related to prescribing glasses
  • Dentures
  • Cosmetic surgery  
  • Acupuncture  
  • Hearing aids and exams for fitting them
  • Routine foot care

Q- Do The Plans Change Each Year?



It is recommended to review your Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage annually and compare it to other available plans in your area. Medicare Advantage plans, Prescription Drug plans can change benefits and costs from year to year. If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan or a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan, your plan may make changes to its drug list (formulary) that affect what you pay for prescription medications. Other benefits can also change year to year such as deductibles and coinsurance. As your health needs, and/or personal situation change each year, you may decide you want more or less comprehensive coverage than your current plan provides. 

Q- I'm Still Working.. Do I need Part A and Part B?



Most people are eligible for Medicare Part A and Part B benefits when they turn 65 if they have enough credits/quarters. Medicare Part A is hospital coverage that most people receive without charge, if they worked at least 10 years (40 quarters) and paid Medicare taxes while working. Medicare Part B is medical insurance, and beneficiaries pay a monthly premium (standard 2018 premium is $134) for this coverage.

When you’re eligible for Medicare while still working, perhaps you’re already covered by your employer’s plan. You can generally keep your current coverage and delay enrollment in Medicare Part B (most people pay a Part B premium). Medicare does not typically penalize you for delaying your enrollment in Part B in cases such as this. You might want to accept Part A enrollment if you don’t pay a Part A premium.If you wish to delay enrollment in Medicare Part B while still working, you can visit this pageon the Social Security website or visit a Social Security office in person. If you decide not to sign up for Medicare Part B now, you will be able to enroll in it via a Special Election Period once you or your spouse’s employment and/or employer-sponsored health coverage ends.

Those who are not collecting Social Security benefits can sign up for Medicare manually. It can be done via your local Social Security office, online, or over the phone.

  • Visit the Social Security website.
  • Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users should call 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM– all U.S. time zones.
  • If you worked for a railroad, call the Railroad Retirement Board at 1-877-772-5772 (TTY users call 312-751-4701), Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM and Wednesday 9:00 AM to noon – all U.S. time zones.